- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Neck Pain: Chiropractic Can Help
Who hasn't had neck pain at one time or another? What's more, many of us have experienced on-going neck troubles at some point during our lives. Looking at human anatomy, it's no wonder pain strikes us so often in this vulnerable area. While the neck structure gives us an amazing range of movement with which to see our environment, it also leaves us prone to injury of the muscles, ligaments, tendons and joints. But by making regular visits to the chiropractor, paying attention to posture and doing regular stretching and strengthening exercises, our necks can be pain-free.
Frequent chiropractic adjustments help prevent neck pain from occurring in the first place, but some everyday activities such as poor posture during watching TV, using a computer, reading a book or talking on the phone can easily trigger neck pain. Here are a few tips for avoiding neck pain throughout your day:
- Pay attention to your posture. Check with your chiropractor for guidelines to help improve your everyday posture.
- Do not read hunched over a desk or table. Prop reading material at eye level.
- If you spend long periods on the phone at work or home, consider using a headset rather than cradling the phone between your head and shoulder.
- Don't crane your neck to see a poorly placed computer monitor. Place the monitor at eye level, square to your shoulders if possible.
- Ask your chiropractor to show you neck exercises to strengthen weak areas or relax tight muscles.
Neck pain that won't go away or keeps coming back can signal a more serious underlying problem such as a subluxation or degeneration in the joints (such as what occurs with arthritis). If you experience neck pain that doesn't abate within 24 hours, seek the advice of your chiropractor for diagnosis and treatment.